Monday, July 25, 2011

On being a parent...

Kyler Jace is just over 2 weeks old!

It's weird how I can feel like I'm busy all day long, but at the end of the day not really know what I've accomplished. Between diaper changes, cleaning up spit-up and feedings, the day just gets away. I'm still not feeling 100% myself so I haven't worked up the motivation to really get anything extra done so Kai and I are just chilling during the day and feeling grateful that we have air conditioning.

All of our friends and family have been wonderfully helpful. Between meals, gifts and groceries, we really feel blessed and know that there are so many people we can call on if we need help.

Being a mom is a tougher job that I expected, and I expected it to be tough. Already I've been lucky that Kai sleeps so well at night - between 4 and 6 hours at a time! But it's tough to be needed so much. I can't really go anywhere because another feeding is right around the corner. And feedings have proven to be the most challenging part. I know it's a learning curve for both Kai and I, but it's a curve that sometimes feels like we're never going to get to the other side of.

Being a mom is pretty amazing too though. There's nothing like cuddling your newborn on your chest or having him look in your eyes during those rare wakeful times. He's really a great baby overall and I'm beyond thankful that he's healthy and growing either because of or despite my parenting abilities.

I'm already looking forward to the next stages - crawling, playing, making sounds that aren't crying. But I also am trying to enjoy this period because I know it will be no time before I say how fast he's grown and I miss being able to carry him in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment